Saturday 9 June 2012

Life. A process of Deterioration.

Everything we own, everything we create and everything we build, in fact everything that is from the moment it is completed will of already started the slow process of deterioration. One way or another everything we take from the earth gets reclaimed. over a long enough cycle everything returns to nothing.
This process with my bike is not a slow one mind, with around 100 miles a week going through my components this process of deterioration is accelerated and I seem to be at my twice yearly uber expensive few weeks with the bike. After it got obliterated at MSG Codham Park some major work was required. It started with the usual chain and cassette needing replacing. With a quick trip to my LBS an XT chain and Deore cassette were purchased. Whilst there, the frame was disassembled so I could replace all the bearings, which was well over due. Leighton had recently got his eager little hands on a bearing press and was keen to try it out with me. However things did not go to plan as the bearing replacement opened a real can of worms A rather severe crack has been unearthed on my frame. This is bad times for sure. Upon leaving the shop casually riding home it became apparent that something was amiss with the chain set too, on inspection one of the teeth was mangled beyond repair. No saving that sucker so a perusal of the internet turned up a Raceface Turbine chain ring. The order was placed along with some lube and frame protection patches (although this is probably not going to fix my frame). Along with that I'm also awaiting new brake pads, Big Bite valve and Hydro flow piece for my CamelBak as I broke it in frustration at Codham. Actually ate through it. Still once all the parts are in place that should get me through the summer. If we actually get one!