Friday 21 October 2011

Fun in the dying sun and blowing (out my arse) in the wind.

Thursday evening saw TJ and I heading to a small jump spot for a play on a small four pack, nothing too dangerous, the jumps are about 3ft high, 5 to 6 ft gaps which are more daunting than they sound. We arrived at 5pm and started hitting the line straight away, it was a real buzz. I hadn't rode stuff like this since breaking my elbow at Sudbourne way back at the begining of spring, this was brilliant. After about 20 minutes I was pulling little tweeks and whips with a massive grin plastered firmly on my face. It was short lived as come 6pm it was getting sketchy with the lack of light penetrating the trees, so I was homeward bound.
Friday is a short day at work, the clock tick tocked by slowly but finally at 2:30pm  it was ride time. After feeling proper box fresh on my Monday night ride, somewhere along the line the freshness had gone, box fresh to sweaty crotch fresh in 3 days, this 2hr 30min ride was horrendous. From the very first incline I was struggling and this was not helped by the ferocious head winds, halfway up the first long climb from the bottom of valley walk to the top of little Henny I was already looking forward to the end. It could not come round quick enough, my legs were empty, my arse was sore, my arms were aching and my lower back too. Shutting my mind off I just spun as fast as I could but the whole ride was arduous. Spirits were slightly lifted on the final leg of the ride as I hit some nice little tech sections and flew through some tight single track but ultimately I arrived home not pumped up and buzzing as normal but just a bit disappointed, like I'd lost my mojo a little. These rides happen for me every now and again but that won't stop me, if I just keep going out and getting my head down the buzz will return. Besides I'm fully committed now, I just dropped £50 on some winter gloves and waterproofs. Bring on the bad weather! but not before I get in a few more sessions of getting airborne.