Friday 9 September 2011

Katec bikes, product review.

Kael shawnasae is the founder and all round very helpful chap behind Katec tools and Bearings. The company come about after Kael had suffered a back injury whilst attending his local gym which left him unable to ride and therefore led to him spending his free time buying and selling cycle parts on Ebay, this went on for a few years whilst at the same time he learnt a lot about servicing frames and suspension which is where it really all begun. Kael started putting together bearing kits for frames and also taking high end bearings and modifying them specifically for mtb use, he suddenly found himself in a position where people were asking him for tools to fit his bearing kits and Kael set about making these to expand his range and satisfy all the constant fettlers out there. How did I come across Kael? Well the Trek Fuel EX7 was suffering from some up and down play in the rear triangle and I started looking about for a replacement bearing kit, being a bit tight I was unimpressed with the cost of the bearings from dealers and the cost of tools to do the job, after much scouting about I landed on the step of Kael's ebay shop. His bearings were cheaper than anywhere else and he had good feedback so I pinged off an e mail and Kael was almost instantly in touch. After being a thorn in his side for the next few days Kael came to the conclusion that it was the bushes and not the bearings and told me he could supply me with 10 bushes and a fitting/removal tool for the princely sum of just £25.98. (it's always good to have spares) Business was done and parts arrived promptly. The tool for fitting the bushes and getting the old ones out was very effective it certainly does the job with minimal effort although it looks a little basic, but when something works with no fuss and doesn't cost an arm and a leg who cares! Kael was spot on with his advice about the problem being the bushes and not the bearings too, with the bike back together all the play had been eliminated and I had saved myself a wedge of cash due to his good advice. I can only recommend Katec on this transaction but to be fair he could have just sold me the bearings, made more money and then have me come back for the bushings, this thought obviously didn't cross his mind. All in all I was very impressed with the service, advice and items I received. The bushes are going strong and the tool is a worthy addition to my tool box, when my bearings do finally give up I won't have any hesition in contacting Kael for replacement bearings and advice. Just waiting for my mates Fox Shox bushes to give up now so I can recoup some of my cash.

ReatinRides.